Quality communication to and from the general population and healthcare providers is essential, to tackle some of the biggest public health challenges in the world. If you are a ...Read more
The COVID-19 crisis has highlighted the importance of effective and timely data sharing for research across borders. There are many different national rules that make health data sharing across EU borders challenging. In addition, interoperability and standardization are also seen as obstacles.
The European Union (EU) has committed to the European Health Data Space (EHDS) in the European Commission (EC)’s Data Strategy and the GDPR has provided a legal framework for the processing of health data with the intention to increase the accessibility, availability and affordability of high-quality healthcare.
The European Health Data Space will:
- promote safe exchange of patients’ data (including when they travel abroad) and citizens’ control over their health data.
- support research on treatments, medicines, medical devices, and outcomes
- encourage the access to and use of health data for research, as well as policymaking and regulation with a trusted governance framework. Additionally, it will also encourage upholding data-protection rules.
- support digital health services.
- clarify the safety and liability of artificial intelligence in health.
Expectations are high for this cornerstone of health digitalization. By 2025, patients from all Member States should be able to share their data with healthcare professionals of their choice.
Investments in the EHDS will be supported by the newly established EU4Health program, as well as common data spaces and digital health related innovation under the Horizon Europe and the Digital Europe programs.
EU-wide collaboration and knowledge sharing will be complex to build the EHDS by 2025. Strategic collaborations will be more beneficial for players in technology, healthcare and research, and it will help them overcome these complex challenges.
How can Modis Life Sciences help you to be part of this journey towards cross-border healthcare innovations?
At Modis Life Sciences we offer project and portfolio management services that will help you at any point in the project cycle, from identifying grants and partners to wrapping-up successful projects with sustainable results by providing dedicated team coordination and project management services.